Braces aren’t just for teens or kids anymore. According to the American Association of Orthodontists, one in five orthodontic patients is over the age of 21. Tooth alignment can be changed at any age if your gums and bone structure are healthy. Most adults receive orthodontic treatment because they realize the significance of maintaining good oral health, and they want to improve their self-esteem.
Common Reasons Why Adults Seek Orthodontic Treatment
- A desire for a more confident smile and improved oral health
- To treat a malocclusion or bad bite
- To correct crowding or teeth that are spaced apart, which could led to gum disease or decay
- To treat abnormal jaw pressure or pain due to crooked teeth
What treatment options are available for adults?
We offer many aesthetic and comfortable treatment options for adults, including self-ligating metal and Damon® Clear braces as well as Invisalign® clear aligners.
Key Differences between Adult Treatment and Orthodontics for Teens and Children
The major difference is that the jawbones of teens and children are still growing. On the other hand, the jawbones of adults have fully developed, so orthognathic surgery may be needed to align the jawbones.
- Adults are more susceptible to bone loss or gum recession because of advanced gum disease, which can affect orthodontic treatment.
- Adults are more likely to have worn or missing teeth, which can cause teeth to shift to different positions. The shifting as a result of missing teeth can create a bad bite and increase the risk of gum disease.
What are the benefits of adult orthodontic treatment?
- Improved Appearance – The most visible benefit of undergoing orthodontic treatment is the improved appearance and self-esteem that comes from a straight, beautiful smile! It is commonly observed and reported that an improved appearance can help a person’s academic, professional and personal success, and that one of the most significant factors of appearance is a wide, bright smile.
- Better Oral Health – Straight teeth aren’t just more attractive; they’re also easier to brush and floss, which can prevent decay and other problems.
At Jovan Orthodontics, we recognize that adults have unique needs when it comes to orthodontic treatment. Most adults started some orthodontic treatment as a child or teen, but never completed it. In these cases and others, we are delighted to help our adult patients obtain the beautiful, healthy smile they have always wanted.
To learn more about the benefits of adult orthodontics, please contact our practice to schedule a complimentary appointment. We understand that you have a busy schedule, and we will work with you to make sure each office visit is as convenient as possible.